May 8th, 2014
There are of course many worthy causes but here are four with groups that we’re working closely with — Please consider giving to them! And save a bit for us
1. Hunger Action Day May 20 — 21
Each May hundreds of anti-hunger advocates from across the state meet in Sacramento to educate their legislators about hunger and encourage their support for anti-hunger legislation. This year advocates from your community will be at the capitol on Wednesday, May 21, 2014. With more than 3.8 million California adults struggling with food insecurity it’s important we speak out
LOS ANGELES HUNGER ACTION DAY INFORMATION:
- Space is limited so reserve now 213 388 8228 or contact:
- Leaving on Bus at 9 am from LA on Tuesday May 20 (RSVP FIRST)
- Departing from St Mary’s Church 961 S Normandie Ave 90006 (you can park there)
- Staying overnight in Sacramento : main events are on Wed May 21.
- It will be Hot and Windy
- Leaving Sacramento at 2:30 pm, Wednesday, May 21st after Hunger Action Day
- Arrive back in LA at approximately 9pm, Wednesday, May 21
- $35 donation requested, no one turned away.
- Groups welcome from community organizations in LA, East LA, South LA, Valley, Westside, Pasadena/Glendale, San Gabriel Valley, Long Beach, Antelope Valley, and anywhere else!
- You can also make your own travel arrangements & meet us in Sacramento: still RSVP please
- Highly recommended—If you plan on attending you should also attend the May 15 training described above
2. Worthy Causes to Support
With Love: A Café and store Opening in Southwest LA
I care deeply about getting healthy food and job opportunities into the communities that most need them. “With Love” is an organization going grass roots to fulfill their dream of healthy food, local jobs and community education & support for their neighborhood in Southwest LA. I have donated to their crowdfunding campaign to help them raise the $125,000 they need to complete Phase 1 of their plan.
Read the summary below and watch their video (http://communitymarketandcafe.com/crowdfunding/ ) to learn more about their goals. If you share their mission, donate this week and all funds will be matched by an anonymous donor. And if financial contribution is not something you personally can afford, share their story with 2-3 friends who you feel would want to know about what they are doing.
Here is more information on their mission: “With Love Community Market and Cafe is a new business in Southwest-LA created to address the health and employment injustices prevalent in our area. Located near Washington and Vermont, the store will consist of a grocery-style market with fresh produce and healthy snack options as well as a cafe with coffee, tea, smoothies, juices and pre-packaged meals. Additionally, they will have free community educational classes, job training, internship programs for youth, and much more!
San Fernando Mission Burned Down and Needs Your Help
Last week the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission had a fire which over $2 million in damage was done. They are asking for donations and clothing. You can donate at their website: www.sfvrescuemission.org Please spread the word.
Location: 9007 Lankershim Blvd Sun Valley CA 91352, between 9 am and 6 pm daily
RECEPTION, DINNER & FILM SCREENING OF “BROKEN ON ALL SIDES” : Race, Mass Incarceration and New Visions for Criminal Justice in the U.S. with ACTOR & ACTIVIST MR. DANNY GLOVER
A Fundraiser to support a grassroots delegation to go the Left Forum in NYC
May 17, 2014 Dinner — 6pm Film — 7pm
Location: Art Share L.A. 801 E. 4th Place, LA 90013
$20 donation requested — No one turned away for lack of funds! More information: [email protected] 323 276 9833
LA CAN Awards and Dinner May 14
Have you purchased your tickets to the FREEDOM NOW Awards? RESERVE YOUR TICKETS BEFORE MAY 14 AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE $100 EARLY BIRD SPECIAL!
Saturday, June 14, 2014 — 5pm - 8pm Location: The California African American Museum (located at exposition park)
To purchase tickets or sponsorships, contact Becky at 213.228.0024 or [email protected].
Click herefor more information.