Help Blind/Low-Vision Shoppers Enjoy The Farmers Market
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING DATE CHANGE:
Hi all—Due to impending rain on Sunday, we are rescheduling the Blind and Low Vision Shoppers Day (Atwater) for February 24 (the next Sunday after)
Still on for March 23 (Crenshaw).
—Thanks everyone! Last updated: 021519
Next 2 Dates:
- RSVP Sunday February 17 February 24 @ Atwater Village Farmers Market
- RSVP Saturday March 23 @ Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Farmers Market
Thanks again to those of you who have volunteered in the past for the Blind Low Vision program!
We're getting past the holidays, the rain, and illness among some of the organizers and ready to go for 2019. We're hoping to be able to schedule 2 or 3 monthly dates in advance each time so we can keep you better advised of the events coming up.
Here are some reminders to ensure that you are prepared for the day:
- Bring a signed copy of the liability waiver (You can also sign one at the market)
- Volunteer guides will need to provide their own transportation
What we'll be doing:
- Guiding blind or low vision shoppers around the market. Need outgoing people who love to converse! Also people who are patient and can describe to the shoppers the foods they're encountering
- We anticipate staying from 9:30 am until probably 1 pm, at either market: You may have shoppers who wish to go for longer than that. Let me know how long you'd be available
- WE also need drivers. You can be both a guide and a driver if you like. The drivers are there to take the shoppers home from the market. They do not need to bring them TO the market. Most of the shoppers will take ACCESS. However, it's hard to go home by ACCESS since you need to give precise time and pick up point or risk being abandoned.
Since we want this to be a relaxing day for the shoppers, we have volunteers to drive them home. If you volunteer to drive we will be finding out the addresses of all the shoppers in advance and then alert all the volunteers to those potential addresses, BEFORE the day of the market (though it is often by email at night.) If you volunteer to drive you would then just let us know who lives in a convenient route home for you. Most of the shoppers will not live too far from the Crenshaw area but a few are further out such as the Valley, West LA, and one person will have to be taken to Union Station to go back to Riverside.
Our itinerary for BLV Market Days are outlined as follows:
- 9:30 AM Arrival at the farmers market February 17 February 24 (Atwater) or March 23 (Crenshaw) Markets don't actually open until 10 but it takes us time to collect people.
- 10:15 AM Breakfast/Orientation—this is where volunteers will match up with shoppers
- 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Shopping/Eating
- 12:30 PM – 1 PM Take shoppers home (Unless some make particular arrangements to stay later with the volunteer)
- We will have fresh, good, not expired snacks and water for volunteers as well as shoppers.
- Shoppers will also receive $10 market money
- Along with helping guide shoppers around the farmers markets, we are also in need of drivers to take shoppers home afterwards.
- Drivers must have a valid license, insurance, and sign a waiver.
- We had several drivers at our last event and both our volunteers and shoppers had a lot of fun!
* PLEASE NOTE: Blind/Low-Vision Atwater Farmers Market DATE HAS CHANGED.
It is now Feb 24 due to rain.
Sunday February 17 February 24: Atwater Village Farmers Market
3528 Larga Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90039 in Public Parking Lot 646
Saturday March 23: Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Farmers Market
3650 West MLK BLvd LA CA 90008
Look for the Promenade of the Rave Cinemas at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza.
If you have any questions or need directions on the day of the event, please call Frank Tamborello, the Director of Hunger Action LA at (213) 361-2075.
Page last updated: 021519